Wednesday, September 16, 2009

As Always

I don't know how I forget it every year. Somehow, whether I'm just ignoring it or not, I can never get it through my head that school will rob most of my time. I always start the year with various projects in my mind, and things I'll get done... And then school pushes all of them aside while uttering a boisterous, "Fuck you!". However, regardless of my silly assumptions and large ambition, I have [slowly] been squeezing in things I WANT to do.

For instance: I finished reading "Just Imagine Stan Lee Creating the DC Universe" vol. 1. Basically, Stan Lee wrote a bunch of stories (mainly the origins) with the title DC characters. As much as this is a fanboys wet dream, it amounts to little more than a campy book with a few laughs in it. The art was good, but story wise, it was really what you'd expect from Stan Lee (who's fucking crazy). He really 'marveled' up the characters making them much more frilly and always attacked by radiation and what not... The dialogue for the most part is really lame, and Stan's editorial notes were the worst attempt at humor I've seen since C3po in the prequel trilogy... And yet, despite the fact that they are horribly campy and undeniably lame, I'm still gonna pick up the other two volumes... Here is where I hang my head in shame.

I also finished Shaman King vol. 1 (that's right!). I really liked that series when I was younger, and when I say the first book at Half Price, I had to pick it up. I've never read the series straight through in it's entirety, so I gave myself a push to start (which I've been saying I'd do for some time now). The only down side is that there's 25 volumes... and I'm not too into manga [anymore]. I likely will end up getting the rest of the series... just don't judge me...

I'm almost done reading InterWorld, which has been entertaining thus far, even though it is a book meant for children (Gaiman still uses quite a powerful sense of writing though... He's a literary genius). Nevertheless, it goes by relatively quickly because I am not its target audience...

I still need to finish reading that pesky Resident Evil book series... I've been in the middle of the last book for months now... I just have to power read through the damn thing and get it out of the way.

The next books on my docket? The Absolute Sandman vol. 1 (I'm already half done with it), The Ultimates omnibus (it's a 900 page graphic novel... I fear for myself), and likely either finishing the Chronicles of Narnia series (I think I've only read half of the books, but have owned them all for years) or start the Lord of The Rings series (also have owned for years and never read).

It's pretty crazy... I've never been one for reading...

I also have finally set some plans for myself to FINALLY scan all of my art. Complete works, doodles, sketches... anything I find appealing to the eye (and some I don't) will be scanned and posted online. Expect updates on that soon peoples!!!

And the main thing holding me back from finishing all of this stuff now is school work (and those silly needs to want to eat and sleep)... Work (the one I get paid for) isn't all that bad because I only work on the weekends now. It's slow and I can bring homework to finish there. But despite all of my whining and bitching, school has been going pretty smoothly this semester. I'm actually doing assigned reading, writing notes, staying awake, and minding due dates and schedules. I've still got this paranoid feeling looming over me that there's a crucial piece I'm missing and one day I'm gonna show up to a class that I am completely lost/screwed/behind in... but that has yet to happen. Some courses... I'm actually ahead...

No comments: