Thursday, September 10, 2009

9 On The 9th Day, Of The 9th Month, Of The 9th Year, At 9 O'Clock

That's right. The poster and title of the post should tell it all. The epic tale of a group of friends celebrating one of it's own's birthday.

But, let's take a few steps back for now. First, I got up (which has been strange. My sleep pattern during the summer was atrocious, but I've been doing quite well this semester [so far]). I fucked up my oatmeal, so I had some truly bad mush for breakfast. I still ate it all because I knew it would all I've got to eat till lunch. I was ready and out the door a little early. I waited at the bus stop for a while, all while dreading the decision to wear my hoodie. It was already warm enough not to wear it, and I knew the day was only set to get warmer. The next stop, Steve was waiting... a long with like 30 other people. Even after that stop there were a few people standing... great, the next stop is gonna be fun... And it was. Steve and I watched as more and more people piled into the bus together, packing quite tight to fit everyone. But Steve and I had seats, so it was all good. We talked until we got to campus, where I pushed my way at the first stop (I really wanted to get off at the second stop, but I say an oppurtunity to get through, so I took it). My morning more or less consisted all of my psych classes which I was able to get through swimmingly with the aid of my good energy drink friends.

Today's pick was an AriZona Pomegranite Green Tea Energy Drink. I must say, I was really looking forward to trying this bad boy, because it mixed my favorite drinks: Tea (which AriZona is one of my favorite brands to begin with), and Energy Drinks. The pomegranite was really just icing on the cake for me. The drink was good (a lot better than Amp's energy tea). It was nice blend of tea, and energy kick so that neither taste was overpowering the other. The pomegranit wasn't all too prominent. It tasted more like AriZona's apple tea than it did the pomegranit. Nevertheless, I liked it. As for the energy, it had 80 mg of caffiene, and all that taurine and vitamins and crap, but it wasn't very carbonated. This seems a new trend in the "better" energy drinks to make it less bubbly, and thus making it seem less "energy drinky" for those who would otherwise not drink energy drinks (I think... I'm no marketer... They're the scum of the Earth).

I then went to my studio to waste some time unitl my actual studio time. I ate, then started doodling for my assignment. I made some progress before I had to go downstairs for lecture. Lecture in essence went through everything our project was supposed to be and what it wasn't supposed to be. Sooooo... I threw out my old idea, and adapted my ideas to fit the correct criteria. I also spent most of my time on Facebook chat talking to Maddie and Karliesa. I found out that Maddie was going to see 9 too, but she was going with her friend Nathan, because he was the only one who was willing to go. Long story short, she's starting to see why no one really likes him... Which is, believe me, a good thing. When it was finally time to get out of there, I nearly ran out. It's not that I dislike that class, but it was the fact that I was there for too long and just wanted to go home.

I waited for the bus for awhile before it finally came. I was almost absent minded enough to forget to flash my I.D. before stepping on the bus (I was on the phone), but I remembered and whipped it out before I looked too stupid. That bus ride... was interesting. (Note, for anyone (I doubt there will be) who doesn't know the local road layout, this will make little to no sense). So Ou ride started and went along fine until we went the wrong way before ramping on to I-43. Immediately the older woman, the mom, went to the front of the bus to have a chat with the bus driver. The woman infront of me (she was a cutie) turned around and said, "leave it to the mom to see what the problem is". My response, "that's what they're there for...". Turns out there was an accident, and insted of taking an hour or more on a backed up freeway, the driver made an improvised route to Green Bay Rd.. That went fine for a little while before Green Bay started getting congested because of all of the road construction. So agian, the bus driver wasn't gonna stand for it. He improvised yet again and took us all over to Teautonia (I'm pretty sure my spelling on that is still wrong...). It was so badass. Others were either laughing or a bit nervous, but I thought it was great. It was my story for the day. So we finally pulled into town, albiet it may have been a fuck ugly route. We still beat Steve's bus though (he was stuck on I-43 lololololololololol!!!). So I got home, and what was waiting for me? The Ultimates Omnibus. An 880 page graphic novel. One of the few Marvel novels I have, is now one of my most epic (However, nothing will knock the Absolute Sandman over as the MOST epic). I was quite stoked for that, even if I felt bad that I couldn't start reading it. I caught a quick supper (by that time I was really fucking hungry), and then hoped on the 12 to Kiwi's house. From there I learned of the failure that is Catherine. She opted out of the movie last minute because she learned it would be a few bucks cheaper when Steve was going on the weekend. Bitch. So we were now down to one vehicle. Ben's. So me, Kiwi, Jake, Ben, Smerz, and Beau and were in Ben's car. After stopping at Pick n' Save/Factory card outlet to pick up some party hats and party blowers, we were on our way. Then we hit a detour. Fuck. Then the detour dissapered. Fuck. Then we were surrounded by white people. Fuck. Then Jake gave fucked up directions. Fuck. But, somehow, if by the grace of some higher power, we got there barely on time. We met Sante in the theater, and enjoyed our movie.

9. The movie is basically about 9 dolls fighting robots. And it's one of the few CG movies rated pg-13. It wasn't a kids movie by any means, but I also think it's probably better for kids than most other pg-13 movies (no abrassive language, just action and loud noises). First, let me start be saying that the CG animation was FUCKING AMAZING! This movie was one of the few that I give enough credit that it, without any doubt, could compete with the Likes of The One And Only. There was only one instance where I did notice repeating textures, and some of the backgrounds seemed semi-flat. But still... Fucking amazing... The character designs and art direction I liked from the first time I saw the trailer. I loved the character models for #1-9, the robots looked creative and imaginative, and the explosions and constant glowing greens offered a lot of nice contrasts. Plus the over-all Burton-esque dark gloomyness of the flick just seemed awesome in CG. Another high point to the film was it's messages. The metaphors in that movie run rampant and make so many comments, critiques and flat out jabs at our society, the world at large, and the troubles faced with being human. There were big, all encompasing messages, small subtle messages, and some you could really just find personal meanings and interpretations. I liked that about the movie because it really made it obvious what this movie was all about. Putting a story to a message. However, my own real problem came in with the plot itself. As a mesage, as a metaphor, it worked perfectly, but as a film... it fell short... It seemed rushed with a lot of minor problems that caused it to fall short of its full potential. The pacing of the movie seemed sloppy, and the character devolopment well... there wasn't much character development to speak of... Overall, it is still an enjoyable film, and worth a watch just to see the animation alone.

After the movie, we hung around the theater being general nuisances, and annoyances to any and all employees. When we finally left the theater, we did the same thing out in the parking lot... only louder. But we finally left, found our way back into Brown Deer, and one by one dispurssed. Happy Birthday Kiwi. It was a fun time!