Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ugh! It's Snowing Again!!!

That's right folks. After two straight days of dreary rain, we now have more snow! Gotta love Wisconsin. Probably the most amusing part of it all would be when my manager (Theresa), yelled out, "Why do we live here???". Yeah. I personally like the snow... in winter... I can't take anymore snow and cold weather. It's too late in the season! I've got filming projects I need done! (Stay tuned for those!) So yeah, the weather has got me pretty bummed out. Also, the knowledge of having work tonight, tomorrow, Tuesday (off Wed. and Thurs. (Thank God)) and Friday, has already told me that I will be dead by next weekend.

For now though, I'm still moving. Plans for Friday night got fucked up (which angered me greatly), and then yesterday was almost solely devoted to homework (Which btw, I still haven't finished). I've still got art and a little bit of English to do. I did however listen to like 4 new [to me] cds last night.
1. "All Hope is Gone"- Slipknot
2. "Like Blood Like Honey"- Holly Brook
3. "When the World Comes Down"- All American Rejects
4. "The Airborne Toxic Event"- The Airborne Toxic Event
5. "Platypus"- The Flobots
All were good, just in very, very different ways. "All Hope is Gone" was exactly what I needed it to be. Slipknot delivered a perfect sequel to Vol. 3. No more of their mindless raging metal with no heart. Although this album was clearly 'harder' than their last, they could still slow it down with melodic anthems such as "Snuff" (one of my now favorite songs ever made ever...). I also was pleasantly surprised when I sound techno-like sounds peeking up here and there. "Like Blood Like Honey" is Holly Brook's first studio album and displays high skill for a freshman release. For those of you who don't know who the Hell this is, she was the one singing back-up vocals in Fort Minor's "Where'd you go". Although, she herself brings no new genre to the forefront, but she employs enough craft in what she does do to give off a strong sound. Plus. it probably doesn't hurt that she's a pianist and I have a sexual/love attraction to pianos. Oh, and she's hot. Soooooooo, check that out and support the 'unknowns'. Next we've got All-American's newest. Now, I've never listened to their first cd, so I've really got nothing to compare it to (except for their WAY overplayed singles from their previous cd). You know, i liked it more than I thought i would. They mixed a lot of different sounds in various ways through out. However, they still seemed to stay in their comfort zone, and never stretched TOO far out the box. I also must saw their vocalist bothers me after extended listening... but I was fine for one straight run through. Next up on my list is a new band The Airborne Toxic event and their self-titled. They're a pretty fun band (especially when you watch their videos and their riding in things like boats and vans singing). They send off a very slow alternative sound reminiscent of bands such as Snow Patrol. Although they never push the overall feel of their music too much, they do experiment with a lot of different instruments. I also find the band themselves pretty funny: 1 smaller clearly indie singer, one 'individual' looking chick, and Asian guy, and a guy with ballin' facial hair, and another guy... lol. And for the last (but not least) cd on my little list here: "Platypus" by The Flobots. It's their first release before the well known "Fight With Tools". There's not that many tracks (only 7 I believe), but it's the Flobots... C'mon...C'mon.

And know I must bid you all farewell for alas, work is over, and I can truck my ass through slush and snow home. Where I will inevitably try and finish more homework.

No comments: